[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Garry Dolley gdolley at arpnetworks.com
Sat May 30 18:55:01 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 02:48:21PM -0700, Michael K. Smith wrote:

> On 5/30/09 1:47 PM, "Garry Dolley" <gdolley at arpnetworks.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 08:57:03PM -0700, Michael K. Smith wrote:
> >> Hello All:
> >>
> >> I am in favor of this.  I've been following the comments in the various
> >> threads and subthreads, and would add only this:
> >>
> >> - There is at least one major transit provider that will accept nothing more
> >> specific than a /32.
> >
> > And why do you think that is?
> >
> > If we give a /32 to anyone who asks for it, I *guarantee* you that
> > major ISPs will stop accepting /32's.  There will be too many of
> > them.
> >
> > They'll take it down to /30s or /24s or something like that.
>
> Impossible to say what will happen later.  Right now, /48's are not globally
> routable over the same paths as /32's.
> >
> >> - If we continue to inhibit providers' ability to get a /32, they may have
> >> reachability issues.
> >> - The v6 space is incredibly large.  Really.  What do we really gain from
> >> limiting some people to a /48?
> >
> > The number of addresses in IPv6 is incredibly large, but not the
> > number of /32 subnets.
> >
> > Guys, do the math.  There are the same number of /32 subnets in IPv6
> > as in IPv4.  We are running out of IPv4.
> >
> > We'll run out of IPv6 if there is no barrier to entry on a /32.
> >
> > 2^32 = 4,294,967,296
>
> Straw man.  4 billion /32's means 4 billion assignments to providers from
> the RIR's.  This does not equate to the 4 billion addresses in the v4 pool
> because they're not assigned as hosts.

I never said it equated to 4 billion addresses in IPv6.  4 billion
assigned subnets, if that is all that is available (in case of /32,
yes), is equivalent to exhausting all the addresses within those
subnets.  There aren't any subnets left for anyone else.

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181