[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat May 30 17:28:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 02:04:22PM -0700, Garry Dolley wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 04:15:02PM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > To that end, I can't support the proposal as written.  As one
> > commenter asked, "what if my kids want an IPv6 network to play with
> > in their garage?"  Well, we should find some way to accomodate that
> > which doesn't require service providers worldwide to spend tens of
> > thousands of dollars upgrading routers to hold the routes.
>
> Exactly.  There's really no reason I should bear the cost of
> carrying your route because your kids want to learn about IPv6.  I
> wholeheartedly want to support learning about IPv6, esp. for the next
> generation of network operators, but doing so in a way that taxes
> third party network hardware, for no reason, is not the way to do it.
>
> --
> Garry Dolley

	i'm sorry - this smacks of shear laziness.
	trying to get ARIN to manage your routing table
	is kind of like asking your mom to still do your
	laundry.

	no one is -forcing- you to accept any route whatsoever.
	your router, your choice.

	do the thought experiment... how many /32s are there in
	the IPv6 universe?  Got a router for that?  Didn't think so.

	Folk are going to have to face the fact that they can't
	depend on their benevolent RIR to manage the potential size
	of the routing table anymore...

	So ISPS and others who run routers, a bit of advice from my
	friend Bailey White;  "Pull up your big girl panties and deal."

--bill