[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri May 29 18:39:49 EDT 2009

On 29 May 2009 Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> > Not every startup company or educational network is going to have
> > 200 customers, not necessarily even after several years.  Even NoX,
> > the Boston/New England area Internet2 PoP, only has ~25
> > participants.  Should they not be allowed to get a /32?
> >

> Their literature seems to indicate they are nothing more than a
> kid of club and have no network infrastructure at all, so if that is
> the case then quite obviously they should not get a /32
>
> However if they are acting as an exchange point for those participants
> then they should be obtaining IPv6 under the 6.10.1 section for micro
> allocations.

Can we agree not to cast stones at each other's "clubs".

GigaPOPs are the current club house for the people that
created the Internet in the first place, long before Al Gore or
most of the people on this list ever heard of the Internet.

And while their may only be a small number of "participants"
many times those participants represent 10,000 to 100,000
desktop connections.  Further the 20+ Internet2 GigaPOPs
quietly purchase over 75G committed bandwidth from a
number of Internet transport providers.  Besides the
community operating two separate national foot print
backbones with over 200G of capacity nationally and regionally

Let's try not to call out specific organizations, be they
providers, end users, or bizarre combinations of the two.

Clubs have and always will exist, but we should try not to build
them into policy.

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818