[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 29 17:29:38 EDT 2009

In a message written on Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:22:58PM -0700, Davis, Terry L wrote:
>    The simple answer is that regardless of how we try to prevent it; our
>    computing environment gets built into our applications.  In short,
>    although IPv6 makes re-addressing easy, it cannot fix the parts of an
>    entity's infrastructure that get built into code, scripts, or
>    configs.

I've noticed several people blurring a line here, but Terry had the
easiest post to reply to and hit the relevant point.

This policy addresses the IPv6 allocation policy for ISP's.  There
is a separate, different policy for End Users.  Most Enterprises
that are building addresses into code (a big no no, but yes, it
happens) would get space under the End User policy for any number
of reasons.

But, here in lies the rub.  This policy makes it easier for an
enterprise to receive a ISP allocation (and get hit with SWIP
requirements, ISP fees, and other associated items) than it does
for them to get an End User assignment in many cases.

The end user policy gives out /48's.  If we want folks to get a
network they can play with in their garage, let's do it under the
end user policy.  This policy proposal affects the ISP section,
giving out /32's for the express purpose of assigning /48's to other
entities.  Let's leave it for folks who are really ISP's, and really
providing services to others.