[arin-ppml] 2009-1 comment

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue May 26 18:41:04 EDT 2009

Reading through the text of 2009-1 I don't find the references that say
section 8.2 is for IP and 8.3 is for IPv4 ..

Without the delimiting wording saying "This is for IP and that is for IPv4"
then both sections technically apply to IPvX, regardless of what the
intention was or what it was "supposed" to be.  As written in the text
published at https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2009_1.html both sections
will apply equally to IPv4 and IPv6, making 8.2 superfluous.

If we rely on the intention then we will all be surprised when in the future
someone says "But it doesn't say that in the NRPM and so as long as I follow
the words in the NRPM I can do what I want.."  We need to be specific and if
we are writing sections to apply to specific protocols then that needs to be
spelled out in the words that are written in those sections.

If I am wrong please point out to me the text that says that 8.3 applies to
IPv4 but not IPv6 or ASN's and 8.2 applies to all IP and ASN's.  I have been
wrong before once or twice, I could be again, but I do not see it in the
text of the proposal.

I want 8.3 to go away.  The rest of the proposal is great.  If we strike 8.3
I will become a staunch supporter of 2009-1.