[arin-ppml] 2009-1 comment

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue May 26 17:17:16 EDT 2009

Being that 2009-1 is listed as under discussion on ppml on
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html, I want to make another
comment.  Section 8-2 is make completely superfluous as any transfers for
the purpose of mergers and acquisitions could just as easily be handled
under the sell it to anyone you want clauses in section 8-3.

If you can sell IP addresses (transfer for monetary consideration if you
don't like the word sell) to anyone for any reason, adding criteria to
transfer address space for specific purposes already covered by the general
clause is unnecessary.
Either section 8-2 or 8-3 should be stricken from the proposal, as the
inclusion of both is excessive and redundant verbiage.

I find it contradictory that section 8-1 avers that "It should be understood
that number resources are not "sold" under ARIN administration." Yet there
is verbiage to specifically allow number resources to be sold in section
8-3.  If we include language that facilitates the sale of IP address space
then we should remove the verbiage stating that IP addresses are not sold.
Leaving both in place shows the world that we talk out of both sides of our
face.

Continuing my past statements, I oppose this policy so long as section 8-3
exists.  I would support this policy as written without section 8-3.

Best regards,
Kevin Kargel