[arin-ppml] Will the price per IP really be affected by thetransfer market introduced in 2009-1?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 15 12:01:54 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I don't say though that I believe the idea that the more you interefere the worse the comeuppance is at correction time.  The US financial sector is a prime example of an industry with very little interference and terrible comeuppances at correction time, just ask Benie Madoff

The real estate market arguably has the most government interference of
any market in the US, and that is the root cause of our current
financial problems.  The FHA, FNMA, FDMC, and VA were originally
chartered to "stabilize" the market, and they did an excellent job at
that "interference" with the market's previously wild swings.  However,
in the 90s, they were rechartered to get _everyone_ a house, and banks
were forced by law to give mortgages to people who couldn't afford
them.  The result was widespread marketing of ARMs and "subprime" loans,
and that huge increase in artificial demand directly created the real
estate bubble.  When all those ARMs reset at higher rates (due to the
bubble), we saw record levels of foreclosures and prices dropped back
towards where they would have been all along if it weren't for the
government's interference.

The financial sector simply took advantage of the government's
interference, and when that finally fell apart, they did too -- and took
the entire economy down with them, giving the "terrible comeuppance" we
see today.