[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Extend 16 bit ASN Assignments

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 11 15:13:16 EDT 2009

I guess what I think is if your paying an upstream provider for
connectivity that if your going to use a 32-bit ASN that they
damn well better support it, there's plenty of other upstream
providers out there.  That 22% figure is surprising.

What is good to read, though, is that 73% of the requests were
for 2-byte ASNs from the start, which means that the majority of
admins requesting them ARE cognisant of the differences, and
are simply making the economically smart choice of selecting
a 2 byte ASN because it's available, rather than replacing/updating
hardware.

So I don't think more education here is going to help, much.

This is just one of those things that is going to happen exactly
like what happens when a community rations gasoline because it's
in short supply.  The people with a lot of money buy fuel-sipping
cars and the fuel shortage is a mere inconvenience to them.  The poor
people end up doing a lot less driving of their gas-hogs and
suffer a lot of disruption in their lives as a result.

Ted