[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Extend 16 bit ASN Assignments

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Fri May 8 18:38:56 EDT 2009

Aaron Hughes <aaronh at bind.com> writes:

> It is entirely unnecessary.  The only change that should be made
> IMHO is to revert to default 16bit assignments until Jan 1 2010 or
> 11 to prevent the 90% return of 32bit ASNs.  That should be enough
> time to get better vendor support.

How about better education *now*?  Might get that return rate down
substantially if there were some information out there about common
platforms and their support for 4-byte ASNs.  I asked at the meeting
if anyone knew of any "bgp for dummies" style books that talk about
4-byte ASNs and there was not a peep from the audience.  Let's FIX
that information gap.

Concrete steps:

1) ARIN to register fourbyteasn.info or something similar ASAP.
2) Set up mediawiki on same, just like getipv6.info
3) I will contribute my experiences, you can too
4) Make sure that this is referenced prominently in the AS templates or
   wherever else you go to sign up for an ASN these days.
5) profit

I believe a month is a reasonable timeline to have this up and running.

-r