[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 8 15:48:24 EDT 2009

Owen DeLong wrote:
> On May 8, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> Indeed.  Right now, the cost of inefficiency is zero and the benefit
>> to fixing it is zero, while the cost of fixing it is usually
>> nonzero.  It's not surprising that we've seen the results we have.
>> Attach a monetary value to the resource, though, and the entire
>> picture changes.
>>
> Perhaps, but, there may be unintended consequences of pricing perfectly
> valid and efficient usage out of existence in the process.

There are only two choices in front of us once IPv4 exhaustion hits:

1. New entrants can't enter the IPv4 market at all, because there is no
supply left.
2. New entrants have to pay someone else for enough supply to enter the
IPv4 market.

Yes, #2 means that some new entrants won't be able to afford the cost of
entry, and that's bad -- but IMHO it's not as bad as blocking _all_ new
entrants.  In fact, some existing players may decide to exit the market
because that's more profitable than what they're currently doing with
their supply, and that's probably bad too -- but IMHO that's the lesser
of the various evils we are forced to choose between.