[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 8 14:30:21 EDT 2009

Roger Marquis wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>>> Rather than helping the problem the fact that this market is being discussed is exactly what is causing the hoarding.
>>>
>> I have to cry foul with this.  There's been implications of hoarding on this list and in the last meeting but I have only seen a single allegation posted on this list of an illigitimate IPv4 holding, and that was a year ago.  (and it wasn't a hoarding situation)

More importantly, the so-called hoarding problem has existed for at
least a decade, maybe two.  It _cannot_ have been caused by this
discussion because it happened _first_.  In fact, if you want to play
cause and effect, the only logical conclusion is that this discussion
was caused by the "hoarding"!

> If hoarding includes large netblocks (mainly /16s) that are not used and/or not needed I can name several, and even a cursory audit will show dozens.

I could name dozens myself, if it weren't for NDAs.  ARIN staff could
find most of them easily enough by comparing their list of legacy
registrations vs. what's seen in the DFZ.

>> Since true hoarding implies false data submitted for an IPv4
>>

> This may be a source of confusion.  Hoarding does not imply false data submitted for an IPv4.

Hoarding does imply intent, though, and I believe that such implication
is not correct in most cases.  As usual, Hanlon's Razor applies.