[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Extend 16 bit ASN Assignments

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu May 7 18:17:51 EDT 2009

I am already running IPv6 and BGP IPv6 over a tunnel .  IPv6 works fine with
a 2 byte ASN.  It lets me do ACL's and everything.  The word I have is that
4 byte ASN support starts with SRE.  As soon as I can get native IPv6 I will
run that.

7609#sh ipv6 route
IPv6 Routing Table - default - 1735 entries
S   ::/0 [1/0]
     via Tunnel0, directly connected
B   2001::/32 [20/0]
     via FE80::4047:8053, Tunnel0

The problem comes if you want to enter a four byte ASN..

7609(config)#router bgp ?
  <1-65535>  Autonomous system number

7609#ping 2001:4860:c003::68  [Google]
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2001:4860:C003::68, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 240/244/248 ms

Kevin