[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy -Revised andforwarded to the Board

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Thu May 7 17:05:02 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Mittelstaedt [mailto:tedm at ipinc.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 4:55 PM
To: George, Wes E [NTK]; 'William Herrin'; 'Martin Hannigan'
Cc: 'arin ppml'
Subject: RE: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy -Revised andforwarded to the Board

>> And before anyone says it, yes, IPv6 *is* the correct answer
>> to this problem, but that's being simplistic.

>No it is not.  The project that always takes the longest is the
>one that is never started.  If you want to eat an elephant you
>do it a spoonfull at a time.

>Ted

I think you misinterpret my intent. I'm not saying that IPv6 isn't the answer. I would very much have liked to see my company implement 2 years ago so that this wasn't a problem.
However, reality is reality. I'm saying that from a timing perspective, we don't have enough spoons, not that we refuse to pick one up. The project is underway, but will take longer than we have based on current projections. Therefore the means to keep the network functional in the intervening time will be important. Waving off any attempt to manage how the IPv4 endgame plays out by saying, "I don't care, move to IPv6" is what is being simplistic.

Wes George

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information intended for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.