[arin-ppml] general vendor comment

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu May 7 14:59:58 EDT 2009

> I am making a point of ending any conversation with a vendor
> with the question "What is your roadmap for IPv6.  Future
> purchase and renewal decisions will be affected.".

>From a strategy point of view, I would suggest that you START
the conversation this way.

>  Almost
> invariably the answer is "Gee, you are the first person that
> has asked.  We don't have a roadmap.  I will forward this on
> to our development team and when there is a need I am sure we
> will pursue it."

And if you get this kind of answer ask for a contact with the
development team where you can ask further questions. Then
do follow up with those people and ask them for their roadmap.

> I would suggest to everyone that we all start requesting IPv6
> information from our vendors, and submit feature requests
> when appropriate.  Hardware and software vendors are not
> going to spend money to address this issue until they see a
> widespread business case to do so.

In addition to asking the technical question about IPv6 support,
you might also consider asking a more business oriented question.

   I'm concerned whether you will still be in business in
   two to three years time. You have no roadmap for IPv6
   but in just a couple of years, it will be an essential
   feature and vendors who don't have it will be history.
   How can you show me that your company is serious about
   staying in business?

We still have enough time to prepare, but only if everybody
including vendors, puts some effort into planning for it
today. We are getting close to the point where those with
no plans will not have enough time to get ready.

--Michael Dillon