[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu May 7 01:29:59 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Martin Hannigan
<martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs> wrote:
>> NAT = conserves IP addresses.
>> Meets criteria for NAT-compatible device = could be built with NAT
>> Not built with NAT + millions of devices = consumes millions of IP addresses
>> Not built with NAT + could be + consumes millions = hoarding
>>
>> If you got "technology limitations = hoarding" from that, you ain't
>> readin' it right.
>
> You're saying that just about every service provider on the planet is
> "hoarding". Am I reading you correct?

Martin,

No. I'm saying that the ones who deliver stateful firewalled service
to a large base of customers using global IPs instead of private IPs,
and who deliberately built it that way just in the last couple of
years did so knowing the score.

The number of service providers delivering that kind of service is
relatively small but scope of some of those services is quite large.
And some of them are hoarding.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Jon Radel <jradel at vantage.com> wrote:
> "Hoarding" generally carries implications about intent which
> you're not, and probably can't, demonstrate.

Jon,

You're quite right. And I still won't be able to demonstrate that it
was pre-planned half a decade from now when they "discover" that they
can re-engineer with NAT and then move the addresses to more valuable
uses within the company. I'll be able to say, "I told you so," but I
won't be able to prove that the six-figures-paid address administrator
over at my favorite vendor added two plus two several years ahead of
the deadline.

Which brings me to my second major point: the hoarding is a fact of
life. There is little if anything we can do to stop it. So if we can't
stop the hoarding, how do we deal with the results?

Step 1. The carrot. Transfer market. Incent the hoarders to sell the
addresses so that they become available for general consumption.

Step 2. The stick. Give the ARIN board the authority to declare
categories of use of IP addresses "no longer sufficiently justified"
if after depletion they find there are too few addresses available on
the transfer market.

Before you explode about step 2, let me point out that ARIN has made
comparable policy changes before. There was a time when multiple IP
addresses for each site on a web server was a valid justification for
more addresses. And then the policy changed so that it wasn't.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004