[arin-ppml] Effect of ARIN's Letters

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun May 3 16:13:30 EDT 2009

In a message written on Sun, May 03, 2009 at 12:33:51PM -0700, Roger Marquis wrote:
> The key here is everywhere, 100% reachability, i.e.,
>
>    D) EVERY CLIENT and EVERY SERVER

Nope.

While it may be necessary in some enviornments, it is not necessary
in all.

A couple of quick examples.  If I'm a large web site, www.bigname.com,
I don't care if one client can talk to another client, just that
they all can talk to me.  If I dual stack my servers it is unlikely
I will care if clients are IPv4 only, IPv6 only, or dual-stacked.

There are many protocols, like BitTorrent, that adapt to their
enviornment.  If you're IPv6 only it will only go to other IPv6
nodes.  Users may not notice at all, or they may see slower downloads,
or in some cases faster downloads.

The key to me is that the servers need to be dual stacked.  If all
of an ISP's servers were dual stacked (e.g. the mail servers), and
all of "big content" was dual stacked a lot of users would work
just fine on an IPv6 only connection.

That's not to say there aren't hundreds of pitfalls and corner cases;
but "EVERY CLIENT and EVERY SERVER", no, not required at all to be
useful.