[arin-ppml] Effect of ARIN's Letters

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri May 1 03:38:17 EDT 2009

 Tony Valenti writes:

  What is interesting about the Slashdot post is that they said "there appears to be no business case for IPV6".

That's because *today* there isn't. In fact, there will *not* be a business case until lack of IPv4 addresses make it hurt, and believe me it *will* hurt. The lack of a business case stems from the fact that nobody has (yet) come up with a Mathematical equation to forecast pain caused by IPv4 addresses exhaustion.
Having discussed IPv4-IPv6 issues at length in various meetings, from ICANN to IETF, to local conferences, I have noticed that there are two schools of thought:

a. avoid the pain and invest into IPv6 now
b. wait for the pain to make you invest into IPv6

Trouble is, without pain, there is no business case for (a). So let's all wait for the pain to take hold, and you'll see how the business case will appear quickly indeed.

The good news is that we're discussing this on the ARIN list, rather than debating policies about IPv4 reclaiming which I personally equate to reclaiming and sharing of crumbs. Nobody's ever survived on crumbs that size.

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html