[arin-ppml] clarification of Board actions Feb 2 and Mar 18, 2009

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Mar 31 18:58:53 EDT 2009

If it gets that ugly there will be a general revolt.  The old timers among
us will remember the ugliness that can happen when turf wars spring up in IP
space.  Things have to happen cooperatively or the whole thing comes
tumbling down.

This is one of the wonderful things about the way the internet is
architected.  While it is a "cooperative anarchy" the "cooperative" part is
just as important as the "anarchy" part.  It's very vulnerability is one of
the things that keeps people working together.

Anyone who has tried to fend off a DDoS attack without the benefit of a huge
pipe or a VERY cooperative upstream knows what I am talking about.  Throw in
a bunch of IP spoofing and multiple upstreams and it compounds quickly.

Granted there are defenses on modern networks, but they are neither
infallible nor always appropriate.