[arin-ppml] clarification of Board actions Feb 2 and Mar 18, 2009

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Mar 31 17:18:41 EDT 2009

Why do people try to act like a transfer policy will solve the problem of
IPv4 runout?  It won't..  IPv4 will exhaust, it is a finite resource, the
need is greater than the availability.

A transfer policy will at most be a short term bandaid to extend the useful
life of IPv4 by some period of months..  it cannot extend the runout
indefinitely.

The cost and pain of applying this bandaid far outweigh any benefit it might
offer.  This says nothing about the cost and pain of ripping it off when you
are done with it.

> > In the free market the only limit to cost is what the market will bear.
> He
> > with the deepest pockets will dictate the cost.
> >
> Because there's already another transfer mechanism, that will already be
> true.
> > It will hurt if the dentist cleans your teeth, it will hurt if the
> dentist
> > does a root canal, so by your logic you might as well get the root
> canal.
> > The difference is the order of magnitutde.
> >
> If my teeth hurt and there's an appointment for a root canal available
> tomorrow and no appointments for cleanings for the next 7 years, I might
> very well just go get the root canal and move on to other more pressing
> issues.

I wish I were your dentist, I would only have appointments available for the
most expensive procedures.  Instead of giving you x-rays we could give you
exploratory excavations and cover them with fillings and caps!  WooHoo!

Of course your middle class neighbor then wouldn't be able to afford
dentistry at all..