[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-3 (Global): Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Tue Mar 31 08:49:58 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Azinger, Marla <
marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com> wrote:

> The only way to even attempt having a textual version that all RIR's can
> agree on would be to actively seek out input from the community of the RIR's
> and injecting the input before submitting it for Global consideration (non
> just select members who's names appear on the proposal).  The route this
> policy took was straight from authors and directly to submission and never
> took into consideration input from community members.  So the back lash of
> skipping the community is now being felt. Now community input is coming out
> after the formal submission to all the RIR's and this basically doubles the
> difficulty of achieving any consensus on a policy that reads the same in all
> RIR's.

The current global policy process that was established through the ICANN and
RIR MoU and attachments was designed for simpler times I.e less political.
If you have a policy that is a straight, non controversial, IANA to RIR
mechanism for allocating ASN or IP address resources it works quite well.
That global policy is good example of an efficient use of the capability.
Regarding seeking community input beforehand, I agree with you, but that's
good for global or regional policy and isn't something that should come as a
surprise.

Any global policy related to IPv4 address space will undoubtedly test the
global policy capabilities of the RIR's as it is currently written. Imposing
policy on other regions and challenging their autonomy should be extremely
difficult. This policy has shown us that there is no such thing as a "shoe
in" and that the policy cabapability established inter-RIR works fairly
well.

Best Regards,

Martin