[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-3 (Global): Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Mon Mar 30 16:18:07 EDT 2009

Scott,

You indicated that there is no consensus with regards to this policy
advancing.  Why is this policy advancing at all then?  Regardless of
it being a global policy, there's no requirement to do anything other
than to run this policy through the process fairly. Failing to succeed
in that process is a sometimes expected result.

A perception may be starting to develop that this policy isn't being
treated equally with regards to other policies I.e. continuing to be
pushed for discussion without support.

Best,

Martin

On 3/30/09, Raul Echeberria <raul at lacnic.net> wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Raúl
>

> El 30/03/2009, a las 04:36 p.m., Scott Leibrand escribió:
>
>> Raul,
>>
>> Given that it's too late to initiate a separate discussion petition
>> for the San Antonio meeting, I would like to assure you that I will
>> do what I can to make sure that we get feedback from the community
>> at that meeting as to the support for the original proposed text, as
>> well as for the revised version.  If there is a clear community
>> consensus in favor of either language, my own personal opinion is
>> that we'll be able to move the proposal forward, with any applicable
>> edits, at that point.
>>
>> In order to prepare for such discussion, I'd welcome feedback from
>> the PPML on the following questions:
>>
>> - Do you support the original proposed text of 2009-3, requiring
>> return of any reclaimed space to IANA for redistribution?  Why or
>> why not?
>> - Do you support the current modified text of 2009-3, requiring
>> return of any reclaimed legacy space, but making optional the return
>> of any non-legacy space?  Why or why not?
>> - Would you support some other revised version of 2009-3?  If so,
>> what would you want to change?  (For example, we could make all
>> returns optional, for both legacy and non-legacy space.)
>> - If you oppose 2009-3 completely, do you believe that current
>> policy is adequate, or would you support some other mechanism to
>> allow for the reallocation of IPv4 blocks between RIRs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>>
>> Member Services wrote:
>>> Raul,
>>>
>>> According to the ARIN Policy Development Process the petition
>>> period for
>>> the upcoming San Antonio meeting closed on 13 March 2009. The
>>> deadline
>>> information was posted to PPML earlier this month, see the post:
>>> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2009-March/013106.html
>>>
>>> The draft policy is under discussion, statements of support and
>>> opposition are welcome and appreciated. Both the discussion on the
>>> PPML
>>> and at the Public Policy Meeting will be used by the AC to
>>> determine the
>>> community consensus regarding adopting this as policy.
>>>
>>> The ARIN Policy Development Process can be found at:
>>> https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Member Services

Sent from my mobile device