[arin-ppml] How hard is it to transition to IPv6?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Mar 27 20:42:56 EDT 2009

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> And read my email again, carefully this time. In effect, I told the customers of all ISPs, not just one ISP, that they SHOULD complain about their ISP supplier's negligence if that ISP supplier does not provide satisfactory timelines for IPv6 support.  If you are signing two year contracts, then you might get one more renegotiation cycle before IPv4 runs out. If you are signing on for three years, you might not get a chance until it is too late, which means that NOW IS THE TIME TO TALK TO ALL OF YOUR SUPPLIERS of network services and network equipment and network software. This is simple reasoning based on the projected runout dates.

Note that "complaints" and "discussions" are, in most cases, not
enough.  You must make it clear that support for your requested feature
(IPv6 or anything else) is mandatory or you'll take your business to
someone else who does offer it -- and follow through on that threat if
they fail to comply.  Lost business, particularly from existing
customers, is the _only_ thing that reliably motivates large companies.

Unfortunately, there simply aren't yet enough vendors out there offering
IPv6 for these threats to work very well -- and that is why none of the
other vendors are really working that hard at it, which creates a
vicious cycle.  Sooner or later, though, it will be broken and IPv6
support will appear from all the other vendors virtually overnight...