[arin-ppml] How hard is it to transition to IPv6?

Chris Gotstein chris at uplogon.com
Fri Mar 27 16:13:48 EDT 2009

Being a small ISP, i'll chime in with my thoughts on this.  We run a lot
of older equipment, most of it will not run IPv6 ever.  This goes for
all our dialup gear.  Dialup is dying a slow death.  I don't ever see
the need to convert our dialup users from IPv4.  Where i see the need in
our situation is on our high-speed customers like cable, dialup and
wireless.

We are going to start testing and doing limited deployment of IPv6 on
our routers and some office equipment (PCs, wireless APs, printers)
within the next year.  From there i would see us starting to be able to
offer IPv6 to our larger customers and maybe even pushing it out to new
sites that we deploy.  At this time, i don't see a need convert
everything over to IPv6.  But our goal would be to use IPv6 on any new
deployments that come up and for customers that are requesting it.

It's great to see the big guys doing this transition.  I think the next
logical step is for the small ISPs, like myself, to start the
transition.  We typically have a lot less equipment to deal with and can
be flexible in dealing with any conversion situations that come up.

Chris Gotstein
Sr Network Engineer
UP Logon/Computer Connection UP
500 N Stephenson Ave