[arin-ppml] How hard is it to transition to IPv6?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Mar 27 12:32:11 EDT 2009

--On March 27, 2009 11:25:56 AM -0500 Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/032509-google-ipv6-easy.html
>
> At the IETF meeting there was a panel discussion on transitioing
> to IPv6, at which Google gave their perspective.  I know a lot of
> folks have been looking for some more concrete information on how
> hard the transition will be, and here's one companies's take on it.
>
> I would like to applaud Google for both being out front and talking
> about their experiences.

For some it's still impossible.  Eg any cable operator, why?  Consumer
devices still don't have v6.  Even many "business" class devices do not.
In my own experience I've run across Watchguard Firebox X Edge series, all
lower end juniper ssg/netscreen devices -- though i'm told you can enable
it from the CLI but it's unsupported, Juniper's M7i ASM as of 8.5R4.2 while
it'll let you setup stateful firewalling stuff for v6 connections, it just
doesn't work at all.  I've not tried any other ASM/Services w/ v6 though.
And I'm sure the list goes on.