[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 45, Issue 36

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 26 19:03:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Brent Sweeny <sweeny at indiana.edu> wrote:
> it occurred to me, on reading Ted's note excerpted below, that so identifying
> IPv4 blocks that ARIN believes but can't yet prove are abandoned is a
> wonderful invitation to hijackers

Brent,

You raise a reasonable point, but I would observe that hijackers don't
seem to have a great deal of trouble identifying abandoned blocks
without ARIN's investigation. If the block isn't in the global BGP
table and a test-spam to the POC bounces, it's a safe bet that block
is ripe for hijacking.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004