[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: TransferPolicy (UsingtheEmergencyPDP)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Mar 26 16:26:01 EDT 2009

> I have yet to see a technical solution to IPv4-IPv6
> interworking that doesn't require any IPv4 addresses during
> the transition. And I refuse to believe that when IPv4
> addresses are no longer available from RIRs that
> entrepreneurs will grind to a halt and no longer fund, build,
> and grow businesses that have a need to talk to the existing
> IPv4 Internet.

Then you are not looking very far, or more likely, you are not a network
technical person and therefore feel no need to keep up to date on the
details of the technology. For at least ten years now we have had
interworking mechanisms that allow IPv6 networks to access the IPv4
Internet and vice versa. New ones are coming along all the time such as
6VPE. There are no magic bullets, but there are many ways of making
interworking function well enough to keep a network operator growing and
profitable.

> Where does a hosted service that needs to deploy more servers
> to serve increased demand from existing IPv4 clients get IPv4
> addresses from after the runout?

>From a 6to4 gateway or from some type of NAT box such as NAT-PT.

Why don't you do some of your own research. This information is not that
hard to find and pointers to much of it are on ARIN's IPv6 wiki at
http://getipv6.info

If you don't even know the fundamentals, then why are you in this
discussion?

--Michael Dillon