[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy (UsingtheEmergencyPDP)

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Wed Mar 25 19:11:02 EDT 2009

From: Martin Hannigan [mailto:martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs]
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy
(UsingtheEmergencyPDP)

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:

[ clip ]

I have and will continue to express my opposition to any policy that permits
a privatized IP market by allowing peer to peer transfers without submitting
the IP blocks for fair distribution to the community.  Turning IP addresses
in to a marketable commodity will severely harm the community.

And why would that be? Could you please provide some evidence of this harm
along with your claim so that we can appropriately analyze and respond?

Best Regards,

Martin

One other statement I want to make.  The internet has thrived thus far in an
environment of cooperative anarchy.  This is the only example on earth of
huge numbers of people working effectively together toward a common goal for
the common good.

The far sighted pioneers of the Internet (hey, could these guys be those
vilified legacy holders?) were amazingly wise in designing a medium that was
virtually impossible for governments to tax, control or regulate.  This I
believe is the sole reason why the Internet is as functional as it is.  Once
governments start poking their fingers in to the pie all bets are off.  We
owe a big debt of gratitude to those pioneers.

The Internet we have today is available almost universally across all but
the extremes of social boundaries.  The world is even providing free laptop
computers to third world children with a built in mesh network to pass
Internet along where monetary economies and communication lines are unheard
of.  What a wonderful thing! (OLTPC)

We need to continue this far sightedness and not create cracks where
governments can gain a foothold.

OK, I'll climb down off my soap box again.

Kevin