[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2008-7: Identify Invalid WHOIS POC's

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Tue Mar 24 21:42:32 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> IMHO, that is a gross misrepresentation of what Lee said.  I
>> agree, as I believe Lee does, that all POC records should
>> have valid email addresses.
>>

> OK then, would you be willing to support a policy proposal that
> ONLY stated all POC's must have valid e-mail addresses?  Nothing else
> about validation or any of that?  Just a simple statement that
> all POCs in the whois database must have valid e-mail addresses?
>
> Ted

I don't have a problem with a policy that POC's have a valid email
address (and I presume you really mean valid/reachable/respondable).
However, I do have a problem with using the current POC email addresses,
as they currently stand, to make the determination of reachability or
not. To determine if a POC (a human being) is reachable, one must use
all the addressing modes (specifically, postal, as that carries legal
weight) to attempt to establish contact *and inform the POC of this
newly enforced requirement to have a valid and reachable/respondable
email address in whois*. I think that only then you can have a fair policy.

-lee

*respondable is not really a word but in this context it means "an
address to which, if an email request is send, a response from the POC
human will be received"