[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-2: Depleted IPv4 reserves

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Mar 24 12:54:38 EDT 2009

Matthew Wilder wrote:
> I think there is definitely a place for a policy somehow limiting the size of allocations when there is less than 6 months to go in projected ARIN IP Address reserves.  I think a maximum allocation size of /20 is going to be too limiting for large ISPs (full disclosure, I work for TELUS, a large Canadian ISP).  This policy is unusually biased against the largest consumers of IP addresses.

I agree that it is unusually biased, but the reality is that we're
running out of addresses, and when a handful of mega-ISPs (who are the
only ones with the power to make the IPv6 transition a reality) are
consuming 80%+ of the addresses, I can see the justification for
protecting the thousands of other orgs that have much more modest needs
and do _not_ have the power to transition to IPv6 until well after the
mega-ISPs have done so.

I'm not sure this policy is the best we can do (it's all stick and no
carrot), but I do agree with the general principles behind it and,
lacking any better options so far, must support it.