[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2008-7: Identify Invalid WHOIS POC's

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Mar 23 21:37:00 EDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Keith Medcalf wrote:

>> During ARINs annual WHOIS POC validation, an e-mail will be sent to
>> every POC in the WHOIS database. Each POC will have a maximum
>> of 60 days to respond with an affirmative that their WHOIS contact
>> information is correct and complete. Unresponsive POC email addresses
>> shall be marked as such in the database. If ARIN staff deems a POC
>> to be completely and permanently abandoned or otherwise illegitimate,
>> the record shall be deleted.
>
> Policy should clearly require that the email message:
> - MUST be in text/plain format (MUST NOT be HTML)
> - MUST be sent from a system which has valid meshed forward and
> reverse DNS
> - MUST originate from the ARIN.NET domain
>
> That is, in order to qualify as an "e-mail" then absolutely strict
> RFC compliance shall be required for the SMTP mailer, and the
> message itself must be text/plain.

While these are valid requirements for the email, they are operational
in nature and do not need to be spelled out in the policy.  I am
confident
staff will comply with these and other BCP-oriented practices in this
process without codifying each and every one of them into policy.

Note that the policy does not automatically consider a contact that
does not respond abandoned.  It specifically leaves that determination
to staff judgment which would probably include additional attempts
to contact by alternate methods.

Owen