[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-2: Depleted IPv4 reserves

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Mar 23 18:18:19 EDT 2009

Matthew,
	Thanks for your input.  Some counterpoints to what you have said that
I would
like to see some feedback on:

	1.	Once ARIN reserves drop below, say, a /9, that means that ARIN would
		only be able to satisfy a maximum of 32 x-large (/14) requests.  Given
		that you state there are 24 organizations that suck down 80% of
		ARIN resources, I think those organizations are going to have to
		face some rather severe limitations soon after we reach that point
		either through this policy, or, as the result of ARIN being completely
		out of addresses.

	2.	If those extra large organizations are restricted, along with
everyone
		else, to getting only a /20 per 6 month period thereafter, yes, they
		will be suffering an address shortage, along with everyone else, but,
		they will at least be able to get some addresses for some period of
		time, and, a much larger number of organizations will be able to get
		SOME of their needs met. The assumption that smaller organizations
		will qualify for enough address space for 6 years is, in most cases
		specious and misleading. This policy would not give a /20 to someone
		who would normally qualify only for a /22 based on a 1 year
projection.

	3.	I  believe the central question raised by this policy is how does
the
		community want to prioritize the IPv4 end game.  Do we want to
		provide as much as needed on a first-come-first-serve basis until
		we run head-long into the brick wall where nobody can get anything,
		or, do we want to reach a threshold where we face an address
		shortage for some time before we hit absolute runout.

Owen