[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal (Global): Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries - Revised

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Wed Mar 11 15:16:32 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2009, at 6:14 PM, John Santos wrote:
>

>> Maybe I just didn't read this closely enough, but I don't see where it
>> actually *requires* an RIR to return returned address space to the IANA.
>>
>>  In the description of phase one, it's pretty clear that the intent is
> that RIRs
> do not reissue returned blocks and instead shall pass them back to the

In Section A, there is no ambiguity. It clearly states the RIR's _shall_
return v4 space based on the defintion in b.1.b "Holdings". It makes no
distinction between legacy v4 or non-legacy v4 address space. The only
differentiated v4 address space is v4 address space that has administrative
issues(legal, financial). A grace and/or sunset period is created for its
eventual resolution and "clear" return.

> IANA.
>
>  As far as I can tell, every 6 months, an RIR returns *surplus* address
>> space (presumably acquired from returned V4 blocks) to IANA which can
>> then be delegated to other RIRs.  There didn't seem to be any criteria
>> for determining what's "surplus".  Does the RIR just decide it now has
>> more than it will need in the forseeable future and elect to return it
>> so other RIRs can use it?  Is there no mechanism currently in place to
>> do that?  Is the idea here just that after widespread IPv6 adoption,
>> lots of v4 space will get returned, mostly to ARIN since ARIN has the
>> most space, and there may still be pent up demand for it in other
>> regions.  For example, a lot of poorer countries may be adopting
>> internets based on old, obsolete tech that they can acquire cheap on
>> the used market, but doesn't do IPv6.  This would give them a
>> mechanism to acquire abandoned v4 addresses (indirectly) from ARIN.
>>
>>  Nope... Every 6 months, an RIR returns all reclaimed address space
> is how I read the policy.

The relevant definition is B.1.b "Holdings".

Best,

Martin