[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal (Global): Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries - Revised

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Wed Mar 11 10:41:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Azinger, Marla <
marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com> wrote:

> The current text can easily be interpreted to mean all RIR's must return
> the address space.  ARIN AC is working on a revision that makes it an option
> and not a requirement as the current text would undermine other current ARIN
> policy regarding reclamation.  We dont see anything wrong with permitting
> other RIR's to return the space if they choose to do so, but making it a
> requirement would not support ARIN policy and we dont want conflicting
> policies.

Changes that are ok under the global pdp are very minor non-contextual
changes. Changes that would be subject to scrutiny by the ASO AC are changes
that cause a policy to significantly differ from one region to another. If
the AC, for example, fixed some fuzzy language, that could be enough to
significantly change the policy since it could be interepreted differently
vs. a version in another region.

My suggestion would be that the AC either forward this policy or send it
back to the authors so that they can decide how they want to proceed, either
withdrawing it and starting from scratch or trying to fix it without a major
contextual change.

Best,
Martin