[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal (Global): Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries - Revised

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Tue Mar 10 21:14:04 EDT 2009

Maybe I just didn't read this closely enough, but I don't see where it
actually *requires* an RIR to return returned address space to the IANA.

As far as I can tell, every 6 months, an RIR returns *surplus* address
space (presumably acquired from returned V4 blocks) to IANA which can
then be delegated to other RIRs.  There didn't seem to be any criteria
for determining what's "surplus".  Does the RIR just decide it now has
more than it will need in the forseeable future and elect to return it
so other RIRs can use it?  Is there no mechanism currently in place to
do that?  Is the idea here just that after widespread IPv6 adoption,
lots of v4 space will get returned, mostly to ARIN since ARIN has the
most space, and there may still be pent up demand for it in other
regions.  For example, a lot of poorer countries may be adopting
internets based on old, obsolete tech that they can acquire cheap on
the used market, but doesn't do IPv6.  This would give them a
mechanism to acquire abandoned v4 addresses (indirectly) from ARIN.

If this is *all* this policy is intended to accomplish, then fine.
If an RIR is *required* to return returned addresses to IANA despite
ongoing need within that RIR, then this is just busy work, since they'll
immediately have to turn around and get more, probably different
addresses back from IANA and causing bureaucratic delays and routing
churn, since the addresses will go right back to the RIRs with the
most demand.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.