[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 93: Predicable IPv4 Run Out b Prefix Size - Revised

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Mon Jun 22 17:43:09 EDT 2009

Bill Manning wrote regarding utilization:

The transfer system is intended to wring inefficiencies out of previous
utilization measures. It will probably succeed to the extent that our
routing system can accommodate it.

However, I believe complete reliance on a transfer market driven
situation is not advantageous or necessarily equitable to all players.
We need to hedge our bets.

Martin Hannigan wrote:

>>> I think that's unlikely myself.
>>>

>> Rather sad commentary, since the only thing shining through is the attitude
>> "if I cant have it no one can".
>>

> Quite the opposite. My comments and suggested alternatives are
> generally considerate of a) the region b) continuing to find some
> method of providing v4 space to everyone in this region  until final
> exhaustion and c) the rest of the regions. After regional exhaustion,
> markets will undoubtedly take over entirely with regards to v4. This
> is likely to occur in all RIR regions.

I dont think complete reliance on a transfer system that could as easily
lock out small players as it could larger players is a defensible
position in light of ARIN's goals.

>>> We could instead simply raise the minimum allocation unit and raise
>>> the bar of entry _for PI_, eliminate end user allocations altogether,
>>> and start pushing people towards PA.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't that equalize the market for new entrants?
>>>
>> No, since there isnt any more space available after 5 to 10 of the 80 large
>> organizations per year get their requests fulfilled.
>>

> Their requests would include the needs of their customers.

Only by revocation of PI availability. This sounds like pouring salt
into the wounds of the small organizations.Which is all moot at the rate
it is going anyways.

>> Making it easier (or harder) to get requests approved when there is no space
>> to fulfill them is silly and pointless.
>>

>>> They should be
>>> able to operate an ISP as long as they can get numbers. Period.
>>>

>> Exactly, and we should ensure that they can continue to do so.
>>

> Getting space from their upstream does not accomplish this?

No, there is a reason PI exists.

> -M<

Joe