[arin-ppml] large vs small?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Tue Jun 16 21:57:22 EDT 2009

Owen DeLong wrote:
>   The fact that most ISPs subscribe to the RIR
> system and route accordingly certainly makes the internet function better.
> However, they do that voluntarily because it works, not because ARIN
> has any way to prevent them from doing something else.
>
> Owen

Thank you, Owen.

Sometimes this seems to be overlooked. Very reassuring to hear it being
explicitly stressed, especially from a respected persona as yourself.

The registries function as well as they do because of buy-in by their users.

They do not have a natural or government granted monopoly. (Contractual
relationships notwithstanding)

This is the model of the internet for the things that work best and that
is what we should spend our effort on maintaining. A Nashian
Equilibrium, to my understanding.

That doesnt change the my belief that fees, or more specifically,
perceived unfairness in the imbalance of fees, are worthy of discussion,
whether on policy list or on general discussion. Of course they are.

The money paid is best viewed as a pay to play, a membership fee, which
is actually exactly what it is. Quibbling over tangibles received is
quite secondary.

It is disingenuous to pretend money doesnt matter. Money quantifies
"matter", that is what we use it for.

In fact, big boy buy in is worth much more to registries than small
boys. Thats another potential explanation for the discount.

15% revenue for 80% utilization. 500x difference between smallest and
largest, on paper.

Somebody should stop me if I am repeating incorrect data.

There is no way to escape this. Large organizations {will|must} have
advantages over small ones - it is the nature of organisms. To properly
manage those advantages is in all our best interests. The question
becomes to what degree and in which instances.

Is this the best and most correct way it can be done?

I think fees, and the larger topic of imbalances, perceived or real, is
worthy of consideration. Preferably before potential axe grinders seize
upon it as their casus belli.

In fact, were this consideration not to be persistently on the BoT and
AC viewscreens, I would be most disappointed, to the extent that matters.

Joe