[arin-ppml] large vs small?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 16 14:12:53 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Brian Johnson<bjohnson at drtel.com> wrote:
>> Cost per IP is much less for large allocations than small allocations.
>
> I don't understand this argument. YOU DO NOT PAY FOR IP ADDRESSES. THE
> FEE IS A MEMBERSHIP FEE.

Brian,

You pay because by jumping through the hoops and paying the fee you
get IP addresses. The rest is more or less a "legal fiction." It's
useful but not sacrosanct. Make no mistake: that we pay ARIN for IP
addresses is a correct description in every other respect.

However we may architect it for legal purposes, the dog still wags the
tail: we buy IP addresses from ARIN and receive the rest of the
services in the package (whether we want to or not!)

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004