[arin-ppml] large vs small?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jun 15 18:30:10 EDT 2009

>  The yearly membership fee is required to be paid
> to maintain allocations, thus it is a fee for the IP numbers
> in those allocations.

You're wrong. The fee is required to be a member in good
standing, and it is only the members of a non-profit who
have a vote on things like Board of Trustee members, and
the by-laws of the organization. The fees are structured
the way they are because the members want it that way.
ARIN policy does not affect the by-laws or the membership
structure or any ARIN fees.

> No, let's make the fee the same for every IP address
> regardless of who owns what netblock it's in.

No, let's wake up to the fact that PPML has no say
in ARIN fees. The public policy mailing list does have
a say in ARIN's number allocation policies, but not in
its fees or fee structure. That's the way it is.

> In which case, ARIN's costs SHOULD drop unless ARIN is tasked
> with additional mandates.

Which is up to the ARIN members to deal with, not you.

> The fact is that the fee discussion is purely an accounting argument.
> ARIN has chosen one way to interpret it's expenses, when
> there are several other equally and I think more valid, ways
> of interpreting them.

No, ARIN's members have chosen...

--Michael Dillon

P.S. There are no fees per IP address because it doesn't make
any sense from an accounting point of view.