[arin-ppml] [arin-council] Returning Legacy Space to IANA. Attorney client communcation.

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Sat Jun 13 10:40:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Jo Rhett<jrhett at svcolo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

[ clip ]

> You want fairness?  Let's make the environment truly fair:  before Cogent or
> any other provider with legacy space can get any more allocations, they have
> to demonstrate 80% usage of ALL of their space, including all legacy blocks.
>  *THAT* would be fair.  But we both know that ARIN has no stomach for this,
> and it won't happen.   Fair?  No.  Certainly a large provider advantage.

It's not hard to show 80% utilization. It's harder to show that it is efficient.

[ clip ]

> Now if they went and applied strict ARIN allocation policy to ALL of their
> space, I'll bet they have years of space already in their possession...

We've got north of 500 posts related to 2009-3. IMHO, this is the
small stuff and the issue of whether we return space to the IANA
probably has little to do with large provider utilization. We've
diverged from the point of fairness and regional responsibility.

Getting back on topic, I think it's reasonable to conclude that
returning space to the IANA through global policy is likely to a) be
met with fierce resistance in this regoin, b) fuel the conditions that
are allowing an ip address market (through whatever vehicle you prefer
i.e. asset purchases, M&A, etc.) to flourish, and c) that the lawyers
will ultimately become involved (AC NDA's).

Best,

Martin