[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] Policy Proposal: Transfer listingservice

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Jun 12 17:29:33 EDT 2009

Kevin Kargel wrote:

> [...]

Kevin there is a political component to all of this your missing.

The large ISP's clearly have it in their power to force IPv6 on the
Internet if they simply get together and unify against the customers
who don't want to pay for upgrades and the content providers who
don't want to buy new servers.

Right now the economic balance is that if your a large ISP there is
little to no cost to continue to provide IPv4 to customers who already
have it and to new customers that want it.  But there's a lot of cost in
lost customers if you try to force customers to take IPv6

If government regulates and taxes IPv4 then now suddenly the ISP's
are on a see-saw, on one hand they lose money by dealing with the
government if they keep IPv4, on the other hand they lose money if
they tell customers to switch to IPv6 and the customers leave.

If government interference becomes too expensive, it suddenly is cheaper
to tell customers the big ISP is dropping IPv4 and let chips fall where
they may.  If all the large ISP's drop IPv4 at the same time, then they
won't even have the customer loss - the customers will just have to suck
it up.

Take for example the auto tire industry.  Bias-ply auto tires are
cheaper to manufacture, cheaper to sell.  Yet we are all driving on
radials now in a passenger car - because all of the tire manufacturers
basically got together and agreed to stop selling bias ply tires in
passenger car sizes.  It
was not a customer-driven decision because there's always customers who
would have bought the cheaper bias ply tires simply because they were
cheaper.  And us customers had to suck it up and take it.

There are numerous examples of industries dominated by a few major
brands who colluded against customers and got their way.  It either
saved them money to do this or it caused average product prices to
rise, and they made more money on the margins.

Take the soft drink industry.  Soft drinks made with real sugar taste
better - it's why Coca Cola is still made with sugar in Mexico.

But sugar is a lot more expensive than HFC's.  Both Coke and Pepsi
knew that if one of them switched to HFC's and the other didn't, then
the one that kept using sugar would get all of the customers.

So, Coke and Pepsi got together and both switched to HFC's at the same
time - and neither one lowered prices - and as a result, the customers
had no choice but to start drinking HFCs.

Ted