[arin-ppml] Efficient use of legacy space required when applying for additional space

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:33:15 EDT 2009

Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> Jo Rhett wrote:
>>> Let's make the environment truly fair:  before ... any ... provider
>>> with legacy space can get any more allocations, they have to
>>> demonstrate 80% usage of ALL of their space, including all legacy
>>> blocks.  *THAT* would be fair.
>>
>> Jo,
>>
>> As I read the policy manual
>> (https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four24 for example), it
>> already requires that "ISPs must have efficiently utilized all
>> previous allocations and at least 80% of their most recent allocation
>> in order to receive additional space. This includes all space
>> reassigned to their customers"
>>
>> Do you feel this isn't strict enough?  Is there another hole in the
>> policy that allows ISPs with legacy space to get around this
>> requirement?
>

> There must be.  It's only providers with large legacy blocks who can
> piss away IPv4 /24s like that...

I had always assumed that would just be because they have enough
addresses (such as a legacy class A) to not have to worry about coming
back to ARIN for more addresses before the free pool is exhausted.

Can you find any cases where a provider who is giving space out
inefficiently got a subsequent allocation from ARIN?  I'm not interested
in attacking anyone here on the public list, but would like to dig into
any such examples and identify what policies might need to be tightened
up to ensure that everyone getting addresses from ARIN is reassigning
them efficiently.

-Scott