[arin-ppml] Efficient use of legacy space required when applying for additional space

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:16:51 EDT 2009

Jo Rhett wrote:
> Let's make the environment truly fair:  before ... any ... provider
> with legacy space can get any more allocations, they have to
> demonstrate 80% usage of ALL of their space, including all legacy
> blocks.  *THAT* would be fair.

Jo,

As I read the policy manual
(https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four24 for example), it already
requires that "ISPs must have efficiently utilized all previous
allocations and at least 80% of their most recent allocation in order to
receive additional space. This includes all space reassigned to their
customers"

Do you feel this isn't strict enough?  Is there another hole in the
policy that allows ISPs with legacy space to get around this requirement?

Recently other RIRs have adopted similar policies, such as APNIC's
recently-adopted prop-066
(http://www.apnic.net/__data/assets/text_file/0004/7870/prop-066-v004.txt),
noting that "ARIN and LACNIC always ask for utilisation for all previous
allocations and assignments, including all legacy holdings."  A similar
proposal is pending in RIPE, 2008-07
(http://www.ripe.net/ripe/policies/proposals/2008-07.html).

> But we both know that ARIN has no stomach for this, and it won't happen.

If there is a deficiency in policy here, I think there actually would be
consensus to level the playing field further.

-Scott