[arin-ppml] Large hole in IPv6 assignment logic

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 11:12:33 EDT 2009

> From: Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>

> Can someone explain to me what is the policy rationale for this price
> discrimination? and for maintaining the distinction between LIRs and end users?
> This is a real question, not a rhetorical one.

Sure.  In general, ISPs (LIRs) generate more work for ARIN, so they pay more
of the costs.  ISPs typically have more address requests, which require mre
evaluation by staff, and which are usually more complicated to evaluate.  They
are also required to SWIP, which generates load on parsers and servers.  Their
space also generates a higher proportion of queries against ARIN's whois and
DNS servers.

The structure was created when ARIN was formed.  The Finance Committee
reviews it roughly annually, and considers alternatives consistent with their
fiduciary duty to the mission and members.  There are other models that
would be consistent with that duty, which would be an excellent topic for
the member list (arin-discuss).

Lee