[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Jun 10 13:38:29 EDT 2009

Member Services wrote:

> ISPs may choose to enter their own address and phone number in
> reassignments and reallocations in lieu of the customer's address and
> phone number.  The customer's actual information must be provided to
> ARIN on request and will be held in the strictest confidence.

Last I checked residential customers the ISP has the option to put in
private residence in their swip record. Residential privacy concerns
assuaged.

> 8. Rationale:
>
> Customer contact lists are one of the most proprietary and confidential

Cooperation takes precedence over competition.

Its been that since inception and I see no compelling reason to change it.

Customer contact lists have never been considered proprietary on the
internet, this statement is false on its face.

I dont support changing things to further protect incumbents against
competition.

> pieces of information in any business.  The requirements for ISPs to
> publish those lists via SWIP or RWHOIS runs contrary to good business
> practices

Allowing your customers to ever leave you runs contrary to good business
practices, but we dont permit customers to be held hostage either.

> and invites competitors and others to solicit both individuals
> and companies receiving reassignments and sub allocations from upstream
> providers.

Good. Thats actually good for competition overall, come to think of it.

Not brought up is privacy concerns for non-residential customers.

On the whole, I dont empathize with that sentiment for non residential
cusotmers either, but notably absent from rational is any legitimate
privacy concerns.

-1