[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Jun 10 13:31:33 EDT 2009

I have an amazing sense of deja vu reading this thread.

99% of what I have read has been written on ppml before, or said
in a meeting in response to one of at least 5 previous proposals I
can remember off the top of my head.

There is one thing I feel is different, which is how this interacts
with IPv6.  That has not been discussed that much before, but is
becoming more important by the second.

In the IPv4 world, we've decided that anyone with a /29 needs to
be in whois.  Anyone with more than 6 computers needs to be in
Whois.

In the IPv6 world, we've decided that anyone with a /56 and larger
needs to be in whois.  That's potentially 2^72 computers.

So if I am a home user, small business, or whatever and have 20
computers, I must be in SWIP if I get static IPv4, but if I get
static IPv6 in the form of a /64 (or even a /60), then I am not.

This makes no sense to me.  Either the 20 computer user should need
to be in whois in both cases, or not in whois in both cases.