[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Wed Jun 10 12:01:30 EDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Kevin Kargel wrote:

> [...]

Hi Kevin,

While your views about IP number resource privatization may (or may
not) be borne out by changing circumstances, I think that the article
that I quoted previously is relevant either way.  Recall that HIPAA =
Health Information *Portability and Accountability*  Act. The overall
goal of the legislation was to strike a practical balance between
privacy and disclosure so that the option of insurance portability
(individual autonomy, freedom of choice, competition, etc.) could be
extended broadly *without* sacrificing "accountability," including the
accountability of individuals and health service providers for the
potential impacts that increasing patient/provider churn might have on
the health of other individuals and society in general.

I think the parallels to our current circumstances and policy debates
are pretty self-evident, but perhaps that's just me...

TV