[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 9 18:44:39 EDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Aaron Wendel wrote:

> I purposely wrote the policy to be short, to the point, and easy to
> understand.  The customer's communication with their provider should
> include
> whether they want their personal information published in a publically
> accessible database.
>
> My point in writing this policy was to protect information that is
> proprietary to any business.  Tell a realtor you know that you're
> thinking
> about going into real estate and you'd like his customer list. Then
> tell him
> that you actually need his customer list to make sure he's legit.
> If all he
> does is laugh at you then you got off lucky.  I can think of no other
> private business that is required to publish customer information to
> the
> public.

The realtor is not connecting you to a global packet switched network.
To my knowledge, no other private business does that.

For better or worse, we already have a huge exception for residential
customer privacy. Extending this to allow ISPs to obscure whatever
data they want about their allocation/assignment practices is, in my
opinion, contrary to the public interest and certainly should apply to
any IPv4 assignment larger than a /27 or IPv6 assignment larger than
a /56. It further should not apply to any IPv4 or IPv6 allocation.

This is just my own opinion.

Owen