[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 9 17:43:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Aaron Wendel<aaron at wholesaleinternet.net> wrote:
> My point in writing this policy was to protect information that is
> proprietary to any business.  Tell a realtor you know that you're thinking
> about going into real estate and you'd like his customer list. Then tell him
> that you actually need his customer list to make sure he's legit.  If all he
> does is laugh at you then you got off lucky.  I can think of no other
> private business that is required to publish customer information to the
> public.

Aaron,

Since you brought it up, let's talk real estate. Do you own a house?
If you do and I know your address then I know who you are and I know
how much you paid for the house because your identity and quite a bit
of information about you is published in the public tax records.

Go ahead and try it with the address in my sig:
http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/Search/GenericSearch.aspx?mode=ADDRESS

As with land, the public has a bona fide interest in knowing who is
using IP addresses in more than a transient way.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004