[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Jun 9 14:55:14 EDT 2009

I would agree that in the best possible world the abuse contact would be
someone who could do something about the issue.  In the real world this is
seldom the end user.

In the case of an ISP they are often the best PoC because they are in a
position to stop routing of a problem host.  In an enterprise network that
would be the NOC center for the aggregate router.  In this case it gets more
confusing because a single network may be distributed amongst several NOC's,
each of which has their own administration and routing policies.

In any case though, this contact "should" be a monitored live person
reachable contact who can directly manage the network in question.  At the
very least the PoC should be one phone call removed from that administrator.

Leaving the PoC as the top level ISP could put contact with an effective
administrator a number of tiers away, and could engender a situation where
resolution of an immediate issue is days away.

Filtering customers from abuse contacts is not a good thing.  If customer
networks are exposed directly to the internet then the customer needs to
have capable administrators on staff or under contract and those
administrators must be reachable.

Expecting reasonable responsibility is not unreasonable.  Vehicle drivers on
public roads are or should be required to have the knowledge, resources and
skills to operate a vehicle. Network operators on public networks should
likewise be expected to have the knowledge, resources and skills to operate
a network.

I am not saying the PoC needs to be the customer, I am saying the PoC should
be a cognizant administrator or administration center.