[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

lar at mwtcorp.net lar at mwtcorp.net
Tue Jun 9 12:41:11 EDT 2009

I too strongly support this proposal.

As a VOIP provider I have to certify CPNI (Customer Proprietary Network
Information) each year to the FCC. This puts a burden on me to keep
most customer information confidential. This includes their name and
mailing address. So far this has related to Call Detail information
and other voice related information. It can be argued that IP information
for VOIP customers should be included as part of the CPNI.

If it is, the current policy would be in conflict with the FCC under some
conditions.

> 1. Policy Proposal Name: Customer Confidentiality
>
> 2. Proposal Originator: Aaron Wendel
>
> 3. Proposal Version: 1.0
>
> 4. Date: 9 June 2009
>
> 5. Proposal type: new
>
> 6. Policy term: permanent
>
> 7. Policy statement:
>
> ISPs may choose to enter their own address and phone number in
> reassignments and reallocations in lieu of the customer's address and
> phone number.  The customer's actual information must be provided to
> ARIN on request and will be held in the strictest confidence.
>
> 8. Rationale:
>
> Customer contact lists are one of the most proprietary and confidential
> pieces of information in any business.  The requirements for ISPs to
> publish those lists via SWIP or RWHOIS runs contrary to good business
> practices and invites competitors and others to solicit both individuals
> and companies receiving reassignments and sub allocations from upstream
> providers.
>
> 9. Timetable for implementation: immediate

Larry Ash
Network Administrator
Mountain West Telephone
400 East 1st St.